Welcome!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Embellishment Challenge

Our next challenge this month at Counterfeit Kit Challenge was to make an embellishment(s) to use on a project. There were so many fabulous ideas for creating your own embellishments this month, and I knew I was going to have to try a few of them!

I especially love the "wooden nickels" or poker chip tutorials that were posted. I wish I'd had some of those cool wooden disks, and would love to find some one day. The poker chips I had were too dimensional to decorate, so those were also out. Then, I remembered that I had a pack of Tim Holtz grungeboard with various sizes of circles and squares. I haven't found a really good use for them yet, so this was awesome! I wanted something different than the grayish color the grungeboard comes in, so I first painted them with a mixture of gesso and acrylic paint, for a really good finish. Then, I decorated them with rub-ons (October Afternoon, Scrap Within Reach, Kaiser craft), stamps (thank you, Bethany!), and patterned paper! I just loved how they came out!! I love that they are neutral, and help to tone down the strong colors from my boys kit.


I've had the design for this page in my head for awhile, and I think I saw a sketch with diagonal circles like this somewhere. I can't for the life of me find it now, so I can't give them credit. If you remember seeing a sketch similar to this, would you let me know, please! I like how many embellishments I was able to use on the diagonal cluster of circles, and even layered some circles cut from one of the papers and buttons from my kit.


That was not all! I knew I wanted to make a few banners similar to the ones in the inspiration kit, so I did. I plan on using them on some future pages from this kit. I think I got carried away! I hope you get a chance to try one or more of these tutorials!


3 comments:

jacque4u2c said...

Thanks for the awesome inspiration! i love making my own embellishments!

marta traughber said...

I love your little stamped circles. Super cool!

Missus Wookie said...

oh those are gorgeous! What a great use of the grungeboard, I've got some of those around here somewhere....